The 5th– 6th grade writing curriculum focuses on longer forms of writing. It explores the various topics to teach students how to tell a story that will interest the reader. Students will tap into both their analytical and creative sides as they research information about interesting topics. It prepares students for essay writing by engaging them in the process of writing various types paragraphs such as expository, persuasive, and narrative.
Knowledge and skills (What you’ll learn)
- Determine the meaning of grade-level academic English words
- Use context (e.g., in-sentence restatement) to determine
- Produce analogies with known antonyms and synonyms
- Reading/Comprehension of Literary Text/Theme and Genre
- Develop drafts by choosing an appropriate organizational strategy
- Revise drafts to clarify the meaning, enhance style, include simple and compound sentences, and improve transitions
- Write literary texts to express their ideas and feelings about real or imagined people, events, and ideas
- Write expository and procedural or work-related texts to communicate ideas
- Write persuasive texts to influence the attitudes or actions of a specific audience on specific issues
About the teacher
Ms. Gabriela have been an educator since 2006. She have taught all levels of English and Literature including Elementary, Middle and High School levels as well as regular, honors, Pre IB and AP Literature.
“My passion for Literature is my best teaching quality followed by my ability to make connections with students. My passion for education also grew into getting a Master’s in Education and completing all of my Doctoral work in the field of Higher Education, which assists me to understand what Colleges expect from their students.”
- Majored in English Literature
- Hold a Master in Education
- PhD (ABD) in Education
- Certified English teacher
- Private school English teacher
- Taught all levels of English Writing and Reading
- Taught regular, honors, Pre IB and AP literature
Click on the “live chat” icon for instant replies,
or scan the below QR code to add wechat ID “ustar-edu”.