The 5th– 6th grade writing curriculum focuses on longer forms of writing. It explores the various topics to teach students how to tell a story that will interest the reader. Students will tap into both their analytical and creative sides as they research information about interesting topics. It prepares students for essay writing by engaging them in the process of writing various types paragraphs such as expository, persuasive, and narrative.
Knowledge and skills (What you’ll learn)
- Determine the meaning of grade-level academic English words
- Use context (e.g., in-sentence restatement) to determine
- Produce analogies with known antonyms and synonyms
- Reading/Comprehension of Literary Text/Theme and Genre
- Develop drafts by choosing an appropriate organizational strategy
- Revise drafts to clarify the meaning, enhance style, include simple and compound sentences, and improve transitions
- Write literary texts to express their ideas and feelings about real or imagined people, events, and ideas
- Write expository and procedural or work-related texts to communicate ideas
- Write persuasive texts to influence the attitudes or actions of a specific audience on specific issues
About the teacher
Ms. Benno is an experienced English teacher and Digital Literacy Coach for public schools in Texas. She is experienced in teaching the elementary level of writing and reading and other subjects for over 20 years. She has served on the Discovery Education Texas State Leadership Council and been a Discovery Star Educator since 2010. She is also a Google Certified Educator and a Seesaw and Fablevision Ambassador. She speaks all over the state teaching teachers how to integrate technology in their classrooms. She was recently named Instructional Technology Specialist of the year for the state of Texas by TCEA.
Click on the “live chat” icon for instant replies,
or scan the below QR code to add wechat ID “ustar-edu”.