The 3rd-4th grade writing and reading curriculum is designed to teach students the tools and mechanics of English writing. The writing curriculum focuses on the writing process along with parts of reading strategies. Students will learn to improve their writing with elaboration, sentence variety, word choice, voice, and conventions. Various writing purposes will be explored through assigned pieces including narrative, informative and persuasive writing about a variety of topics. The students use details and organization to write persuasive essays. They will also use their script to share their unique ideas and perspectives.
Knowledge and skills (What you’ll learn)
- The structure and organization of the writing
- How to write effective beginnings (leads)
- Using transition words and phrases to help the flow of the writing
- Using a variety of sentence types and structures
- Choosing the most effective words
- How to include various types of figurative language
- How to write effective conclusions
- Receive instruction and practice with reading both fiction and nonfiction on above level resources.
- Practice reading fluency and gain comprehension skills
- Practice word study skills
About the teacher
Ms. Benno is an experienced English teacher and Digital Literacy Coach for public schools in Texas. She is experienced in teaching the elementary level of writing and reading and other subjects for over 20 years. She has served on the Discovery Education Texas State Leadership Council and been a Discovery Star Educator since 2010. She is also a Google Certified Educator and a Seesaw and Fablevision Ambassador. She speaks all over the state teaching teachers how to integrate technology in their classrooms. She was recently named Instructional Technology Specialist of the year for the state of Texas by TCEA.
Click on the “live chat” icon for instant replies,
or scan the below QR code to add wechat ID “ustar-edu”.