This class is designed to teach grade 5 students in the matters of English Reading and Writing. Every week we will focus on 5 vocabulary prefixes/suffixes that will enable students to determine meaning of multiple words and increase their vocabulary. During the course we will cover three main types of writing: Informational, Narrative or storytelling, and Opinion Writing. We will also spend some time reading different passages that are good examples of these types of writing,
Knowledge and skills (What you’ll learn)
- Students will learn about non-fiction , informational Books and the various types of writing.
- Structure of an essay including introduction, thesis, body paragraphs and
- Write about History such as the Boston Tea Party, World War 2 and other important parts of history.
- Write an informative essay paying close attention to the source of their findings.
- Adding details and examples with a bibliography.
- Understanding the Elements of a great story.
- Drafting the informative essay : brainstorming, outlining, drafting.
- Completion of the informative essay using editing and proof reading
Week 1: Getting To Know You Activities
Week 2-7: Informational Writing, Vocabulary, Reading Examples of Informational Writing
Week 8-14 Narrative Writing: Narrative Writing, Vocabulary, Reading Examples of Narrative writing
Week 15-20: Opinion Writing, Vocabulary, Reading Examples of Opinion Writing
About the teacher
Ms. Benno is an experienced English teacher and Digital Literacy Coach for public schools in Texas. She is experienced in teaching the elementary level of writing and reading and other subjects for over 20 years. She has served on the Discovery Education Texas State Leadership Council and been a Discovery Star Educator since 2010. She is also a Google Certified Educator and a Seesaw and Fablevision Ambassador. She speaks all over the state teaching teachers how to integrate technology in their classrooms. She was recently named Instructional Technology Specialist of the year for the state of Texas by TCEA.
Click on the “live chat” icon for instant replies,
or scan the below QR code to add wechat ID “ustar-edu”.