This K-1st grade Reading and writing curriculum helps first graders focus on becoming reading & writing experts while preparing them for the next grade level. Students will learn the foundational reading skills of word recognition, vocabulary, transitional words, paragraph organization, basic comprehension skills, and reading strategies. They will also learn fundamental composition skills such as spelling, capitalization, sentence structures, punctuation, formatting, purposefully shaping, and controlling language, which will prepare them for school tests and exams.
What you’ll learn?
Phonics and phonemic awareness
Applying word analysis skills
Reading comprehension skills
Fundamental composition skills
Course Breakdown (Sample)
- Review the “at”, “et”, “an”, “en” Word families. Make sentences with “sight words”. Read a story and answer comprehension questions.
- Review the “eel”, “eep”,”eet” ,Word families. Make sentences with “sight words”. Read a story and answer comprehension questions.
- Review the Consonant blends “bl”,”br”, “cl”, “cr” in words. Identify “Nouns” in sentences. Read a story and answer comprehension questions.
- Review the S blends “Sc”, Sk, Sn, Sl, Sp and St in words. Identify “Homographs”. Read a story and answer comprehension questions.
- Review the vowel diagraph “ee” and “ea” in words. ”. Read a story and answer comprehension questions.
- Review the long and short “oo’ diagraph in words. Read a story and answer comprehension questions.
- Review the Final /k/ sound spelled- ck, ke, k in words. Talk about “Homophones” .Read a story and describe illustrations.
- Recognize Ambiguous vowels au and aw in words. Read a story. Talk about the key details.
- Recognize diphthongs such as oi, oy, ou, and ow in words and do related stories. Identify and create contractions such as “isn’t” or “wasn’t”. Find the main idea of a story (Comprehension skills).
- Review the word endings -dge, -ge. Read a story.
- Pronounce word endings in -ed, -s, and -ing. Understand the rules of capitalization. Read a story.
- Count the number of syllables in words. Identify the parts of speech “Verbs” and “Adverbs. Read a story
- Review the word endings -ce, -ve, se in words. Read a story.
- Practice words with the long and short “oo” sounds. Learn about “Pronouns”. Read a story.
- Learn about Blends and Trigraphs “thr, spl, str and shr”. Learn about “Antonyms”. Read a story.
- Learn words with the long i sound having “igh” in them for e.g. high, sigh etc. Learn about “Synonyms”. Read a story.
- Practice the words “ long o with oa for eg coal, road etc. Learn about prefixes. Add “Prefixes” to the base words and write the new word for e.g. Un- happy- unhappy, Re- view – review, etc.
- Practice the long u word families, oon, ue, ube, uit. . Learn about “Suffixes”. Add “Suffixes” to the base words and write the new word for eg ly (friendly), ful (careful) etc.
- Practice the Digraphs ck, kn, wr words. Learn about “Homonyms”. Read a story.
- Practice the er, ir and ur words. Learn about “Irregular verbs”. Read a story.
About the teacher
Hello! My name is Miss Stella, and I’m so excited to meet you here and help you gain confidence in reading and writing.
I hold an English Bachelor degree and a Master of Education from the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. This is my 9th year of teaching English Language Arts.
I’m teaching 1st to 3rd graders in an elementary school right now, and I have worked as a high school ELA teacher before that. My teaching philosophy is to see to every student’s unique needs and demands. I like to use a wide range of formative and summative class activities to closely monitor students’ growth. I am absolutely in love with what I do and I genuinely look forward to helping you in any way I could.
Scan the below QR code to add wechat ID “ustar-wechat-pay” for inquiries and support!