The 10th-11th-grade reading and writing curriculum focuses on academic writing. Provides instruction in drafting and revising essays that express ideas in Standard English, including reading critically, thinking logically, responding to texts, addressing specific audiences, and researching and documenting credible academic sources. Includes review of grammar, mechanics, and usage.
Students will learn various types of writing such as narrative, research, literary analysis and poetry analysis. Students will also be learning literary theory and reading informational text, poetry , non-fiction and American fiction classics. As well, students will be working on their college admissions essay for future acceptance into University.
Class Time: Every Saturday 7:30 – 8:30 AM (central time) / 8:30-9:30 PM Beijing Time
Class Date: 10/5/2019-12/28/2019 (no class on Nov 23)
About the teacher:
Ms. Ayala has been an educator since 2006. She has taught all levels of English and Literature including Elementary, Middle and High School levels as well as regular, honors, Pre IB and AP Literature.
“My passion for Literature is my best teaching quality followed by my ability to make connections with students. My passion for education also grew into getting a Master’s in Education and completing all of my Doctoral work in the field of Higher Education, which assists me to understand what Colleges expect from their students.”
- Majored in English Literature
- Hold a Master in Education
- PhD (ABD) in Education
- Certified English teacher
- Private school English teacher
- Taught all levels of English Writing and Reading
- Taught regular, honors, Pre IB and AP literature
What you’ll learn?
- Write a narrative for your College Admissions Essay that captures a moment in your life or a trait you exhibit in an interesting and persuasive way.
- Differentiate between the various types of writing such as Narrative, Persuasive, Research, Literary, etc.
- Learn how to analyze text including Poetry, Fiction, Non -Fiction, Articles etc.
- Understand how to read literature from various theoretical lenses.
- Discuss text in an academic way using literature terminology.
- SAT Vocabulary
- HISTORICAL CONTEXT OF GREAT GATSBY
- ANALYSIS CHAPTER 1
- ANALYSIS CHAPTER 2
- ANALYSIS CHAPTER 3
- ANALYSIS CHAPTER 4
- ANALYSIS CHAPTER 5
- ANALYSIS CHAPTER 6
- ANALYSIS CHAPTER 7
- ANALYSIS CHAPTER 8
- ANALYSIS CHAPTER 9
- WRITING A LITERARY CRITIC
- WRITING A LITERARY CRITIC CONTINUED
Click on the “live chat” icon for instant replies,
or scan the below QR code to add wechat ID “ustar-edu”.